Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #1: Alexis ’19 & Jamal ’18

By October 27, 2017 October 11th, 2021 No Comments
[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”] [et_pb_row admin_label=”row”] [et_pb_column type=”4_4″] [et_pb_text admin_label=”Text”]

We’d like to introduce you to EDUC 2610 facilitating pair Alexis Wilson ’19 and Jamal Starling ’18. They are facilitating a gender dialogue together this semester.  Here’s what they have to say about IDP:

Why IDP?

Co-Facilitators Jamal ’18 and Alexis ’19

Alexis: I took the course as a freshman because after participating in a workshop that IDP did, I was intrigued by the course. I took gender and learned a lot about myself, society, and dialogue as a communication form. Thus, I accepted a position as a facilitator. I have been facilitating ever since because I enjoy seeing my students learn and grow and also continuing to push myself to learn about societal issues and better my understanding of ways I can be an agent of change.

Jamal: I chose IDP because of the experience I had in the classroom when I was a student. I learned so much about different identities even though my class focused on race, which made me a better ally to all people. Because my facilitators helped me get to this point, I wanted to do the same thing for other students.

What’s your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

Alexis: I really enjoy working with Jamal because we are similar in a lot of ways, in terms of social identities and personalities, and so we became friends quickly. Jamal is also a very supportive co-facilitator and I know I can rely on him when I need it.

Jamal: My favorite thing about my co-facilitator is our chemistry and the fact that we are friends outside the classroom. Thus, I care about her and her needs, which translates into the classroom.
[/et_pb_text] [/et_pb_column] [/et_pb_row] [/et_pb_section]