Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #17: Lauren ’20 & Sarita ’20

By November 12, 2018 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

Our fifth pair of the Fall 2018 Semester highlights Lauren Goldstein ’20 and Sarita Benesch ’20. This wonderful pair is currently facilitating a Race dialogue. Here’s what they have to say about IDP:

Co-Facilitators Lauren ’20 and Sarita ’20

Why IDP?

Sarita: I think anyone who has been genuinely engaged with IDP could tell you that it takes over your life, in the best way. What started out as participation in the EDUC 2610 course has become a mission that I carry with me in my day to day life. Coming to campus as a freshman, I did not see a point in communicating with those of different perspectives. I was an intra-group advocate, firmly grounded in my beliefs with no intent to expand my circle. As the IDP process unfolded, I reevaluated the potential that lies in conflict. The way that I critically considered information, formulated opinions and self-reflected changed dramatically. I guarantee that before you know it, IDP will have enriched the academic, professional, and personal aspects of your life; you’re continuously introduced to incredible peers, challenged to increase your capacity for empathy, and pushed to transform your pathway of processing information. I have not found this continuous process of growth in any other space.

Lauren: IDP has exposed me to so many new perspectives and ways of thought. I have learned so much about myself and others through the process, and see myself growing with each dialogue and conversation. The communication skills I have learned in IDP have extended beyond the class, into academic and professional settings, and into my personal relationships. I am so excited to be a part of the IDP community and to have the opportunity to teach this course!

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

Sarita: What more could I ask for? Lauren and I are just on the same page, there’s no other way of putting it. If I had to name one favorite thing about Lauren, it would have to be her wit. In class, she can transform the tone of the room with a single question. She can capture a concept that would take me four sentences to describe in a quick but nuanced one-liner. She’ll turn a thought you haven’t even had yet into words. It’s wildly impressive.

Lauren: My favorite thing about Sarita is that she is extremely thoughtful. She knows exactly what to say to make others feel comfortable, and always fosters nuanced and meaningful conversations. Sarita is very kind, but she is also a force! I feel very lucky to have Sarita as my first IDP Co-Facilitator.