Co-facilitator Pairs

Humans of IDP #29: Mia Mishaan ’19 and Deja J. Canty ’20, SES

By December 4, 2019 No Comments

Our next Humans of IDP are Mia Mishaan '19 and Deja J. Canty '20. These two co-facilitated a dialogue on Socioeconomic Status. Here's what they have to say about IDP and each other:

Why IDP?

Mia:

IDP has become a place where I feel both safe and challenged. It has taught me to be more empathetic towards other people, and be more reflective about how I communicate with others. It has made me a better leader in my other organizations on campus and has brought me a support network of people to care for me while holding me accountable. IDP is one of the most rewarding things that I have done on campus, and has been a defining aspect of my Cornell experience.

Deja:

I really enjoyed being a student in the course last semester. It brings out a deeper level of introspection I wouldn’t have outside of the context of the class, and I enjoy how much it makes us think about the complexities of identity. I also have a lot of fun introducing that complexity as facilitator at times.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

Mia:

My co is one of the kindest people I know. Whenever something goes wrong and might set me in a bad mood, she actively tries to get through it without becoming jaded. Her spirit is kind of unwavering. Her capacity for self reflection and improvement is super impressive. I can’t count the number of times when she’s explained something that I just couldn’t find the words for. I couldn’t have asked for a better co for my last time facilitating.

Deja:

She definitely catches non verbal cues very well and I think that’s really important. She knows when to step in or step back.