Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #35: Khary ‘22 & Nick ‘20

By October 24, 2019 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

This week’s #HumansofIDP are Khary Pryce ‘22 and Nick Sepulveda ‘20. These two co-facilitate a dialogue about gender this semester. Here’s what they have to say about IDP and each other:

Why IDP?

Khary:

I like to think that I chose IDP, but I think there were larger forces at hand that lead me to joining the program. My year was the first year that was assigned a mandatory IDP session during orientation week, and coming off of my gap year, I was excited to get back into the diversity/social justice work I did in high school. While my peers scoffed at the idea of a session to learn “how to communicate,” I was a little apprehensive but very enthusiastic. IDP came to me during a really reflective time in my life and the curriculum and tools introduced to me stuck with me, to the point where I knew I had to continue being a part of the program. Now, I’m surrounded by some of the most passionate, thoughtful, and self-aware people I’ve ever met and every time I step into the IDP office I’m taken aback by the love I feel in that space. What was supposed to be a one-time, 3 hour, introduction to communicating across difference, has become a lifelong process of growth for me and I am so grateful for it.

Nick:

I decided to take IDP my sophomore year of college. As a senior looking back, I can see it was one of my best decisions at Cornell to become a part of this organization. I don’t think I’ve ever thought as critically or been challenged as much as I have because of IDP- I never knew what to expect during every class. Even more amazing, though, are the people who make up the organization. I have no idea how IDP consistently manages to attract and keep some of the most thoughtful and aware people on campus. It’s truly been a great experience being both a participant and a facilitator in this space.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

Khary:

Where do I even start??? My co also happened to be my facilitator when I took the class, so now I get to see a whole other side of him. When I took the class I saw the goofy and lovable Nick who graded my papers, and now I see more of the pensive and amazingly knowledgeable Nick who helps me grade papers. Nick and I have similar personalities but bring very different things to the table. I can tell the students appreciate the experience, charisma and energy he brings to each class. I found out last minute that Nick would be coming back to facilitate this semester, and I ‘m so happy he did. I wouldn’t know what I would do without him! He is a beast.

Nick:

I have never seen a person light up a room faster than Khary has. It’s amazing how her personality can be both that exciting, hilarious figure that energizes people while also being that calming presence that genuinely engages productive thoughts. It’s actually kind of scary how natural she is as a facilitator; being a third time facilitator I thought I knew how to do this, but Khary somehow brings in new dimensions of facilitation that I haven’t even thought about. AND THIS IS HER FIRST TIME! Honestly, I’m not too surprised though. Khary was instantly one of the first people me and my original co- thought of recommending to be an IDP facilitator. If you’ve ever met her, you’ll know exactly what I mean; she’s got it! I’m just so lucky that I can have a co- that’s so thoughtful and intelligent while being almost as funny as I am. Really though, I do feel extremely fortunate; I hope our students realize the lottery they hit by having Khary as a facilitator.