Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #39: Cole ‘20 & Sam ‘21

By November 21, 2019 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

This week’s #HumansofIDP are Cole Johnston ‘20 and Samantha Luevanos ‘21. These two co-facilitate a dialogue about gender this semester. Here’s what they have to say about IDP and each other:

Why IDP?

Sam:

I love IDP because it creates a culture that values communication, especially across differences. IDP helps me to navigate and make sense of all the messy bits of society. It encourages me to think of everything critically, to ask questions, and to find my own solutions to problems within my local and more global community.

Cole:

IDP has been my second home on Cornell’s campus. It has shaped my personal and professional aspirations and strengthened my interpersonal and professional skill set. I am so grateful for my time with this program and all it has offered me.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

Sam:

Cole is one of the kindest people I have ever met. He embraces everyone wholeheartedly and makes them feel understood. His ability to be vulnerable and genuine is inspiring because through it, he makes others feel comfortable, safe, and accepted. He is truly a manifestation of love.

Cole:

There are three things to know about Sam:
1. She can out-dress anyone on campus with ease.
2. If you need to know something, she has the dirt–there is no gossip left unknown.
3. She is incredibly brilliant. If you talk to Sam, be prepared to be wowed by her knowledge of criminal justice, legal reform, the carceral state, systemic racism, the Supreme Court, and many more uplifting topics!
Sam has been an absolute gem this semester and I am so grateful we were paired together.