Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #49: David ‘22 & Samantha ‘21

By April 27, 2020 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

Happy Monday everybody! For this week’s #HumandofIDP, we’re featuring two more of our lovely EDUC 2610 co-facilitators, David Moore ‘22 and Samantha Luevanos ‘21. Here's what these two have to say about IDP and each other:

Why IDP?

David:

I love IDP because it provides me with a space, almost like a home away from home, where I can be myself and interact with amazing people on a daily basis. Since starting IDP it’s been the highlight of my week, and it continues to be. I am always finding myself learning something new in every single session or workshop I’m in, and I love the sense of achievement I get from contributing to a great dialogue. I’m extremely grateful to be part of such a close-knit community that encourages me to push myself out of my comfort zone. The things we discuss are super relevant, and I’ve learned tools from IDP that I use to navigate my relationships with other people as well as myself.

Sam:

When I first came to Cornell, I had so many questions about my identity, and IDP has become a space on campus in which I feel comfortable exploring it. Society can be extremely messy, but IDP has taught me how to cope with and embrace the aspects of my identity and those of others that remain unclear. I have learned to live my life questioning things and to find comfort in the messiness of the world we live in. Above all, IDP has given me the language and the skills to continue to ask questions with confidence, curiosity, and empathy.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

David:

There are so many great things I could say about Sam. She’s a great co to work with, and she’s incredibly smart. She often sees things or notices details that I have a tendency to miss, and I am so grateful for that. She always provides a new, fresh perspective and challenges me to think in ways that very few others have been able to do. Sam is someone I know I can count on when need be, even when she’s swamped with classwork or has to attend meetings due to her busy schedule. Sam is extremely hilarious and has been the reason that I’ve run out of breath laughing in the IDP office on multiple occasions. Anyone who has the privilege of talking to her will surely leave with a smile on their face. Our FaceTime conversations tend to be a mixture of laughter and confusion, with a teensy tiny bit of critical thinking—I know that may sound weird, but I wouldn’t have it any other way Thank you Sam. 

Sam:

There are three things to know about David:
1. He is always dancing, singing, and hearing music. If you ever need a playlist with great songs, go to David! Unfortunately, he is not on Spotify, he believes in Apple Music, but that can be overlooked because he has the best taste.
2. He loves sports! His favorite is football. Be prepared to have a conversation with him about a particular team, a player, or a very specific game.
3. His joy is infectious! He brightens up every and any space on campus. He has the innate ability to make you feel better and make you feel welcomed. He has been incredible to co-facilitate with this semester.