Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #52: Bo ‘21 & Cole ‘20

By May 18, 2020 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

For this week’s #HumansofIDP, we’re featuring our final EDUC 2610 co-facilitator pair of the semester, Bo Miebach ‘21 and Cole Johnston ‘20. Here's what these two have to say about IDP and each other:

Why IDP?

Bo:

The skills that you learn in IDP are so essential to effective and intersectional activism. IDP has given me a much better understanding of my own social and core identities, and how these impact how I connect with others.

Cole:

IDP was the most important part of my Cornell experience. It has radically changed my relationship with myself and others. I developed a stronger sense of self and learned to be proud of who I am. It equipped me with communication tools that have transformed my personal, professional, and familial relationships by giving me the confidence and skills to have genuine, powerful conversations and meaningful conflict. IDP has been my home these past four years, and I could not have completed Cornell without it. If you want positive change in your life and the lives of others, take EDUC 2610.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

Bo:

His ability to beautifully affirm and LARA everyone and anyone, even if they’re expressing views that he may not agree with. Oh, and his stories about raising show pigs.

Cole:

Bo is a gem. They have been a kind, supportive, thoughtful and flexible co-facilitator. One example of their incredible kindness is when I was having an exceptionally bad week earlier in the semester. Bo casually asked me what my favorite dessert was, and the next day they surprised me with homemade fruit bars that were so good I teared up a little bit. Bo is incredibly insightful. They can identify group needs and fill them proactively. They are a skilled critical thinker and are courageous and vulnerable in sharing their personal story. I am so grateful I was paired with Bo this semester!