In this episode, Kathryn, Khary, and Rachel talk about what they’ve been taught regarding objectivity, how it can show up in science and journalism and among friends and family, and when aspiring for objectivity undermines nuanced and accurate stories about power.
IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with "I" Statements
Episode 10. Objectivity
- What have you been taught about separating facts from feelings? Separating facts from biases? Separating facts from opinions?
- How do you make decisions about which media you consume? What role does objectivity play in these decisions?
- What role does objectivity play in your reactions to the media you consume?
- In what ways can a lack of representation/diversity in a profession (e.g., journalism, psychology, politics) skew the output produced by people working in that field?
How do you understand objectivity? What role do you think objectivity does play in society now? What role do you think objectivity should play in society now?
- A reckoning over objectivity, led by Black journalists (Lowery, 2020)
- How Trump should change the way journalists understand “objectivity” (Illing, 2020)
- The pitfalls of “objectivity” (Warner, 2017)
- The unbearable whiteness of mesearch (Ray, 2016)
- Awareness of our biases is essential to good science (Potochnik, 2020)
A Note About IDP Guides
Members of the Cornell community are welcome and encouraged to use IDP Guides for educational purposes. This representation of IDP intellectual property is provided for noncommercial, educational use by the Cornell community only. Permission is required from IDP to reproduce, or reuse in another form, any of our materials for commercial use. For information on reprint and linking permissions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cite this IDP Guide:
- APA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. (2020, September). IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 10. Objectivity. Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference. https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-10/
- MLA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. “IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 10. Objectivity.” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-10/
- Chicago: Intergroup Dialogue Project, “IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 10. Objectivity,” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-10/