In this episode, Jeannie, Owen, and Rachel talk about when they experience connection to themselves and others, and also how some of the messages they’ve received throughout their lives make it challenging to connect.
IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with "I" Statements
Episode 6. Connection
- What helps you feel connected to yourself? Connected to others?
- Which communication skills help you connect with others?
- How do you adjust your communication when connecting with someone new? Someone you’re already connected to?
- How do you adjust your communication when connecting with someone whose social identity differs from your own? Someone who shares your social identity?
- How do you see vulnerability showing up in your relationships with others?
In this episode, each person expresses having a complicated experience with their own emotions and learning how to accept and express their feelings over time. How would you describe the relationship between emotions (e.g., being aware of one’s own feelings, expressing one’s emotions and having candid conversations about feelings with others) and authentic connections? How do you think your social identities (e.g., gender, race, socioeconomic status) have shaped the way you experience your emotions?
- How to become a scientist of your own emotions (Suttie, 2019)
- Navigating the coming out conversation —from both sides (Tu & Low, 2020)
- What I learned by learning my family’s recipes in the most trying of times (Tadepalli, 2020)
- Varied friendships make students more tolerant (Johnson, 2019)
A Note About IDP Guides
Members of the Cornell community are welcome and encouraged to use IDP Guides for educational purposes. This representation of IDP intellectual property is provided for noncommercial, educational use by the Cornell community only. Permission is required from IDP to reproduce, or reuse in another form, any of our materials for commercial use. For information on reprint and linking permissions, please contact email@example.com.
Cite this IDP Guide:
- APA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. (2020, September). IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 6. Connection. Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference. https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-6/
- MLA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. “IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 6. Connection.” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-6/
- Chicago: Intergroup Dialogue Project, “IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 6. Connection,” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-6/