In this episode, Rachel, Rheeda, and Tony talk about rest, including how they think about rest during this historic moment characterized by a pandemic and widespread protests against anti-Black racism. They also share where and when they experience rest and ask, rest: what is it good for?
IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with "I" Statements
Episode 7. Rest
- How would you describe the relationship between rest and activism? Rest and social identities? Rest and productivity?
- Thinking about what you’ve learned from people in your life (e.g., family, friends, teachers, co-workers) and the media (e.g., news, movies, songs), what messages have you received about the importance of rest? Do these messages suggest that rest is equally important for everyone, or that some people deserve rest more than others?
- What do you do and/or where do you go to get rest?
What kind of role should rest play in our society? What would society (e.g., laws, norms, workplaces, schedules) need to be like in order to make that possible?
- Rachel Cargle insists rest is the real revolution for Black women (Fleming, 2019)
- When dismantling power dismantles you instead (Lalanne-Tauzia, 2018)
- Why ‘stillness’ is crucial for your brain during this pandemic (Yin, 2020)
- In our own words: Institutional betrayals (Dutt-Ballerstadt, 2020)
A Note About IDP Guides
Members of the Cornell community are welcome and encouraged to use IDP Guides for educational purposes. This representation of IDP intellectual property is provided for noncommercial, educational use by the Cornell community only. Permission is required from IDP to reproduce, or reuse in another form, any of our materials for commercial use. For information on reprint and linking permissions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cite this IDP Guide:
- APA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. (2020, September). IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 7. Rest. Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference. https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-7/
- MLA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. “IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 7. Rest.” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-7/
- Chicago: Intergroup Dialogue Project, “IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 7. Rest,” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-7/