In this episode, Baba, Janani, and Rachel describe the messages they’ve been told about humility, when they’ve been humbled, and their struggles to find the right level of humility for themselves as they move throughout the world.
IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with "I" Statements
Episode 4. Humility
- Which of your own social identities feel most salient to you when thinking about humility? Why?
- Can you think of a time you’ve been made aware of a “blind spot” that you have? What did you feel in that moment?
- What are spaces (e.g. school, media, household, friend groups, sports, places of worship, etc.) in your life you can think of where humility is valued? Where is it devalued?
In this episode, humility is described as a characteristic that can foster learning and growth. What have you gained from demonstrating humility in your life, and what has humility cost you?
- Why the confidence gap is a myth (Thomson, 2018)
- This overlooked trait is the key to true allyship (Hill, 2020)
- Finding strength in humility (Schwartz, 2013)
- Intellectual humility: the importance of knowing you might be wrong (Resnick, 2019)
A Note About IDP Guides
Members of the Cornell community are welcome and encouraged to use IDP Guides for educational purposes. This representation of IDP intellectual property is provided for noncommercial, educational use by the Cornell community only. Permission is required from IDP to reproduce, or reuse in another form, any of our materials for commercial use. For information on reprint and linking permissions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cite this IDP Guide:
- APA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. (2020, September). IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 4. Humility. Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference. https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guides/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-4/
- MLA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. “IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 4. Humility.” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guides/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-4/
- Chicago: Intergroup Dialogue Project, “IDP Guide: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 4. Humility,” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-guides/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements/idp-guide-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-4/