In this episode, Jum, Natalie, and Rachel discuss their expectations related to community, when and how they’ve built community, and the ways in which the Coronavirus pandemic has affected their experience of community.
IDP Resource: Listening & Learning with "I" Statements
Episode 5. Community
- What is the relationship between social identities and the communities you are part of?
- Do you tend to form communities with people who share one or more social identities with you?
- What is the value to you of forming communities with people across different social identities?
- The concept of shared values as an important aspect of community comes up throughout the episode.What values are most important to you when looking for or building community? Why?
- This episode frequently mentions ‘building’ or ‘creating’ community.How have you built or created a sense of community throughout your life?oWhat skills do you think are helpful or important when creating community?
How does the modern world – with its technology, global interconnectedness, and ongoing pandemic – affect the way that you have experienced community? What are some of the opportunities that this context offers for creating and maintaining community? What are some of the obstacles that this context presents for those interested in forming or maintaining community?
- It’s ok to feel ok right now (Adams, 2020)
- Five ways coronavirus is deepening global inequality right now (Sen, 2020)
- Self-care through intentional community (Wilson, 2017)
- Hispanic women, immigrants, young adults, those with less education hit hardest by COVID-19 job losses (Kochhar, 2020)
A Note About IDP Resources
Members of the Cornell community are welcome and encouraged to use IDP Resources for educational purposes. This representation of IDP intellectual property is provided for noncommercial, educational use by the Cornell community only. Permission is required from IDP to reproduce, or reuse in another form, any of our materials for commercial use. For information on reprint and linking permissions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cite this IDP Resource:
- APA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. (2020, September). IDP Resource: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 5. Community. Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference. https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-resources/idp-resource-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements/idp-resource-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-5/
- MLA: Intergroup Dialogue Project. “IDP Resource: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 5. Community.” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-resources/idp-resource-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements/idp-resource-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-5/
- Chicago: Intergroup Dialogue Project, “IDP Resource: Listening & Learning with “I” Statements, Episode 5. Community,” Intergroup Dialogue Project – Dialogue Across Difference, Cornell University, September 2020, https://idp.cornell.edu/idp-resources/idp-resource-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements/idp-resource-listening-and-learning-with-i-statements-episode-5/