Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #50: Gillian ‘20 & Sarah ‘22

By May 4, 2020 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

Meet Gillian Catano ‘20 and Sarah Sperber ‘22, this week’s #HumansofIDP and two more of our EDUC 2610 co-facilitators! Here's what these two have to say about IDP and each other:

Why IDP?

Gillian:

I chose to continue my work with IDP because I felt that IDP pushed me to become the most authentic ‘me’ possible. I understand my past experiences and how they have shaped me today in ways I never thought possible. Further, I am so appreciative for the people and space that IDP is. Whenever I enter IDP spaces, I feel like I can truly share my thoughts and feelings knowing that others are listening to me without judgement. IDP has helped me foster relationships and form meaningful connections with folx very different from myself. This program has given me life skills, knowledge, and experiences that I will take with me for the rest of my life. Thank you IDP!

Sarah:

As a participant in IDP, I gained tools to communicate effectively and to think critically. Thirteen sessions of IDP empowered me to recognize how society influences me and to decide how I want to influence society. I wanted to continue my learning experience while facilitating that of other students.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

Gillian:

Sarah has a positivity about her that I find incredibly unique. I love her smile! I am so thankful for the radiating positive energy that Sarah brings to our class. You can definitely catch her bopping to any music ; ) Working with her has reminded me how simple things like smiling, joking, and laughing can make difficult days have moments of happiness! Thank you so much Sarah!

Sarah:

Gillian is so thoughtful and reflective. A deep and caring soul, she made our classroom a place of warmth and understanding, and she supported me when I didn’t know how to support myself. Always calm and strong, Gillian is going to make such waves in the real world and I can’t wait to see what she does!