Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #59: Aditi ’21, Julia ’21, & Maryam ’21

By November 30, 2020 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

This week we're featuring Aditi ‘21, Julia ‘21, and Maryam ‘21, three more of our EDUC 2610 co-facilitators and this week’s #HumansofIDP! Here’s what these three have to say about IDP and one another:

Why IDP?

Aditi:

IDP creates a space where you can explore privilege, oppression, intersectionality, and social identity with no inhibition. You can ask questions, speak vulnerably, and establish meaningful connections (even in a virtual space!) that help you develop a clearer sense of self and life perspective. And most of all, it teaches you how to communicate in a way you would never learn on your own.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitators?

Maryam:

To work with Julia and Aditi is to work with people who care so deeply about bettering themselves, improving our communities and homes, and supporting and pushing each other. It’s wonderful to have coworkers who are rooting for you, who always are working to be better, and who actively work in discomfort to try and make Cornell a little better. We also have killer dance breaks.

What is the most rewarding part of being an IDP facilitator?

Julia:

It is so rewarding to see students grow throughout the semester and to learn as much from them as they learn from us. I came to IDP because I felt like no other place on campus let me bring my full, authentic self. IDP has taught me how to empathize and how to communicate better with the people around me, and each semester reframes the way I see the world. I’m incredibly lucky to have participants who push and challenge me past my comfort zone.