Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #68: Brian ’22, Julia ’21, & Kyle ’21

By May 12, 2021 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

Today we’re featuring Brian Li ‘22, Julia Timko ‘21, and Kyle Muña ‘21, three of our EDUC 2610 co-facilitators, as this week’s #HumansofIDP! Here’s what these three have to say about IDP and one another:

Why IDP?

Kyle:

IDP is a space for me where I know that I can show up as my full authentic self. I know that every time I go to class, I will be welcomed with enthusiasm and curiosity by my co-facilitators and my students. IDP is also a space of community that I have desperately needed throughout the pandemic. I started facilitating virtually and have been able to meaningfully connect with the incredible staff, facilitator team, alumni network, and students. It’s also made me reflect on who I am as a person and who I want to be as an educator.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitators?

Brian:

The beautiful, chaotic energy that is our relationship in and out of class! Kyle and Julia are both such goofy and hilarious yet incredibly perceptive and profound people who I am so grateful to call my coworkers and role models. I’ve learned so much about effective facilitation from them, and strive to follow in their footsteps as a facilitator myself. At the end of every session and meeting we have together, I always look forward to seeing them again, regardless of the reason.

What is the most rewarding part of being an IDP facilitator?

Julia:

I joined IDP because I was looking for a space on campus where I could feel truly comfortable being myself. IDP has pushed me to think critically about my own identity and how I interact with the world, and taught me how to communicate, initiate change, and strengthen my relationships with others. Watching our students grow in these aspects as well throughout the semester is probably the biggest reason I keep coming back to IDP. Being able to learn alongside participants each semester and see the way they are sparked to create social change makes this work so rewarding.