Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #40: David ‘22 & Owen ‘20

By December 5, 2019 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

This week’s #HumansofIDP are David Moore ‘22 and Owen MacDonnell ‘20. These two co-facilitate a dialogue about socioeconomic status this semester. Here’s what they have to say about IDP and each other:

Why IDP?

David:

I love IDP because I feel valuable and heard in all the spaces it occupies. I also like the fact that IDP is constantly teaching me skills that can and will be (and already have been) applicable to my life. Even as a facilitator, I’m still learning so much from my experiences with IDP, and I can’t get enough of it. I love the way the material presented both challenges and complicates my worldview. The skills and tools that I’ve gained as a result of IDP has allowed me to develop more meaningful relationships with more people, and I am so glad that they were provided to me.

Owen:

Why IDP… As I think about how to respond to this, I can’t help but return to my sophomore year when I first took the class. I think about how before taking this class, so much of my life was unexamined. IDP has given me a space to explore not only myself and the identities I have, but also the way I impact those around me whether I intend to or not. IDP gave me an opportunity to make mistakes and mess up. It has equipped me with the skills to address injustice and issues of inequality on a daily basis in real-life scenarios. It has allowed me to hear the personal experience of my peers that I would have never heard otherwise. Everything IDP has given me I know I will use for the rest of my life, and for these reasons I am so grateful for this program and its mission. In my third semester facilitating, it is clear that I just can’t stay away. As a straight white man I had never felt like social justice work had anything to do with me. I now know it has everything to do with me.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

David:

Owen is an amazing co-facilitator. It’s very obvious that he cares deeply about this organization and what it stands for, and that love for IDP manifests itself physically in the form of excitement and love every Thursday morning. He’s constantly thinking of ways to better himself for the sake of our section–he will literally beg me to criticize him when I honestly can’t find any areas in which he needs improvement. Even outside of the context of IDP, he’s been there for me on multiple occasions. I know that at any given moment if I am stressed or upset about something, I have Owen in my corner and he’s always willing to listen. I remember having great moments with him in training before we even knew we’d be co’s! He’s incredibly funny and relatable, and if you get the opportunity to talk to him—do so. You won’t regret it. I’m eternally grateful to have Owen as my first co, and it’s been so much fun. I can honestly say that as a result of our pairing, I’ve received more than just a great co—I also got a great friend.

Owen:

My favorite thing about David is the energy he brings to every space he is in. From day one he would always have his speaker, playing music and creating a welcoming atmosphere to everyone in the room. Whether it is walking to and from class, grabbing lunch, or just kicking back, David and I always have great conversations and there is never a dull moment. I appreciate everything David brings to IDP and look forward to seeing him continue to grow as a facilitator because he is already fantastic. Oh, did I mention my man can DANCE??