Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #63: Amy ’21, Ethan ’21, & Marina ’21

By March 22, 2021 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

We’re so excited to be kicking off this semester’s Humans of IDP series featuring our incredible Spring 2021 EDUC 2610 facilitators! Today we’re highlighting Amy Shen ‘21, Ethan Bachert ‘21, and Marina Grais ‘21 as this week’s #HumansofIDP! Here’s what these three have to say about IDP and one another:

Why IDP?

Marina:

Intergroup Dialogue Project has been my “home” here at Cornell for the past 2 years. It is my favorite group that I am a part of because I am surrounded by people who constantly encourage me to be a better person. It is the place I am challenged the most, but also the place I find most of my joy in. It has been incredible being able to learn about others’ stories, teaching others about my own identities, and recognize the changes we can have on broader systems. IDP is filled with welcoming, warm people who I genuinely just love spending time with. I can safely say I originally took EDUC 2610 because it seemed like a fun class that combined my interests about social justice and education, but I stayed because it was one of the only places on campus where I could be my full self.

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitators?

Amy:

My favorite thing about working with my co-facilitators is that they provide a space to grow and rest. Whether that means getting more comfortable with direct communication, giving feedback, receiving reassurance, or unpacking feelings, my co-facilitators and I are always there for each other.

What is the most rewarding part of being an IDP facilitator?

Ethan:

What I find most rewarding about being an IDP facilitator is seeing students progress over the semester, and gradually develop a broader understanding of the world and other people. I especially love to see students reflect on their progress and acknowledge their own privileges and biases, and how they would like to continue learning about social justice and making change.