Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #65: Alex ’23, Christy ’22, & David ’22

By April 14, 2021 October 11th, 2021 No Comments

Today we're highlighting Alex Castroverde ‘23, Christy Bryana Atangana ‘22, and David Moore ‘22, three of our EDUC 2610 co-facilitators, as this week’s #HumansofIDP! Here’s what these three have to say about IDP and one another:

Why IDP?

Alex:

I took EDUC 2610 last semester and absolutely fell in love with the people and with the class. When I was asked to facilitate, I was so happy to continue to learn more about my identities and work on some communication skills on a deeper level. Specifically, IDP helped me understand myself a little better, but also helped me communicate my thoughts and ideas when I am scrambling on what to say. I just love how the class is set up to lean into discomfort in order to learn and grow with one another!

What is your favorite thing about your co-facilitators?

Christy:

Alex and David are so supportive, caring and fun! Not only do they make me laugh really hard and can put a smile on my face but in times where I may be struggling, I know they have my back. It was surprising yet so fulfilling to see how we clicked with one another. They both give me confidence to tap into my authentic self, and I am ever grateful to be doing this experience for the first time with them.

What is the most rewarding part of being an IDP facilitator?

David:

I would say that the most rewarding part of being an IDP facilitator is the connections I get to make, whether it be with my cos, the participants, or other facilitators that I don’t share a section with. I love being able to come to a space and bring my full self and be accepted as such. There are some connections I made 3 years ago when I was a participant that still hold true today, and those connections motivate me to continue doing this work. Being able to better understand and meaningfully engage with others, especially those who have a very different worldview than I do, has drastically changed my life and my mindset, and I love providing this opportunity for others.