Undergraduate students

Humans of IDP #77: Anna ‘24 & Rafael ‘23

By January 13, 2022 January 2nd, 2024 No Comments

Meet Anna ‘24 and Rafael ‘23, our final Fall ‘21 EDUC 2610 co-facilitator pair, and this week’s #HumansofIDP! Here's what these two have to say about IDP and one another!

Why IDP?

Anna:

IDP is crucial to my career development, as a business student with ambitions to work in the areas of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Corporate Social Responsibility. I hope to be a leader in the workforce that can communicate across the many differences of my employees and coworkers. Watching my students grow in the ways they communicate gives me confidence that I will be able to develop a work environment that facilitates understanding, empathy, and connection. IDP also makes me optimistic for our world to exist with less division. For the past three semesters, I have watched the ways in which a dialogue education allows for people with extreme differences of opinion to find common ground and connect on shared values. As these tools enter more spheres of influence, there is hope that people can begin to unite against hatred and oppression despite a difference in ideologies or politics. It is because of this hope that I continue to work as an IDP facilitator and further my personal goals for growth as a leader in the business world.

Rafael:

I am involved in IDP because I want to learn how to communicate across difference and make an impact in any community that I will be a part of in the future. As a facilitator, I have seen a positive impact with my friend groups as well as my personal relationship. A very important tool I’ve learned from IDP is strategic questions. I’ve been able to implement this in my leadership positions when navigating difficult choices and that is why I continue to be involved with IDP.

What's your favorite thing about your co-facilitator?

Anna:

My favorite thing about my co-facilitator is his ability to be authentic and genuine. Rafael shows up as his true self to all of our sessions, sharing personal experiences and modeling to our students what it means to be vulnerable. His talent for sincerity brings an element of honesty into the classroom that allows our students to open up to each other and form bonds that will go way beyond the scope of our classroom. With Rafael’s authenticity comes personality and humor that makes our sessions more than just a learning experience. Rafael teaches us all to bring our true selves to the space in order to make meaningful connections and strategize for change with people that we see as more than just classmates, rather trusted friends who share in the mission of connecting across difference to make the world a better place.

Rafael:

Anna is very involved in the Dyson School and it is amazing to see her balance IDP and the many other clubs and initiatives she is a part of. In IDP, I’ve appreciated Anna’s direct feedback and support when we are facilitating. Anna cares so deeply about our growth and the growth of our participants, and is always doing whatever she can to to propel the class forward by bravely challenging both us and the students.